Home About Us Quotes Contact Us Privacy Terms and conditions UK customers click here

Home Insurance Accommodates Gardeners

<< Back to Top Tips Archive
Tip of the day

Gardeners know they are special, and the lower-than-average home insurance rates back that up, but do they need special home insurance?

Actually, most home insurance will already cover some facets of your own personal Eden. All home insurance policies, aside from renters insurance, include property coverage. Most things on your land should be covered, especially landscaping.

For example, if you have a special raised plot of land or a stone porch or wood deck, they might be covered for storm damage or water damage if they are hit by a flood. Likewise, they are protected against vandalism or other foul play.

What about your special gardening equipment?

Sprinklers, as long as you have the proper documentation, are covered by normal home insurance policies. However, with special garden features, such as pots, raised beds, compost bins, lamps, monitors, and green houses, you should check with your insurer.

Is your harvest insured?

Home insurance does not normally cover harvests, since it is not farmers insurance. However, if you are a serious home gardener and you produce a considerable amount of food, you may be able to add on some extra coverage. It may only cost $5 extra to guarantee compensation for crop destruction due to weather, pestilence, or plague.

Home Insurance Basics
Weekly Theme
Tip of the Day
Client Testimonials
Around The House
Ask an Expert
Home Insurance Articles
Can Help You
Today's quiz